No Added Sugar Granola (Vegan, Gluten-free, can be Nut-free)
Based off of What IF….? Gourmet
This granola is great for those who want a healthy, filling granola that’s not too sweet! I have to admit I eat it every day!
You Will Need:
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1.5 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 cups old-fashioned oats (or gluten-free oats)
- 1.5 cups quinoa, toasted**
- 1.5 cups lightly toasted sunflower seeds (or slivered almonds, chopped cashews, your favorite nut; omit for nut-free)
- 1.5 cups chia seeds
- 1/2-2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Pour boiling water over dates in heat-safe bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes, then stir in vanilla extract and coconut oil. Pour mixture into food processor and process into smooth paste
- In a large bowl, combine oats, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds
- Add date paste to oat mixture, and stir well so everything is coated
- Spread mixture onto baking sheet into a thin and even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to get even browning (the edges seemed to brown faster for me). In the last 10 minutes, sprinkle shredded coconut on top (DO NOT MIX! I made this mistake both times!) to toast the coconut
- Take granola out of oven, and, if adding, stir in the golden raisins. Let cool completely, stirring every few minutes.
- Enjoy over oatmeal (my favorite), with apples and peanut butter, fruit and non-dairy yogurt, non-dairy milk, etc!
** To toast quinoa, pour into dry skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally— watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn!! Take off heat and let cool once lightly browned.